Installing Fasteners: Clean & Prep Surface, Mount Studs & Pins
Most customers prefer using the “No-Drill” EZ Snap® 3M™ Adhesive Fasteners for their EZ Snap Shades.
Deciding which EZ Snap® Fasteners are best for you depends on the type of frames you have:
- Stainless Steel Screw Snaps: Best for wood frames, stucco or siding mounting. Install in any temperature. No surface prep required. Be careful not to over tighten screws.
- 3M™/Stainless Screw COMBO Snaps: 3M™ adhesive seals around screw hole. Install in any temperature. Surface prep recommended for better adhesive bond. Be careful not to over tighten screws.
- 3M™ Adhesive Snaps: Installation temperature MUST be at least 15°c /60°F for 72 hours before attaching shades. Surface preparation required. 3M Primer Recommended.
Mounting Surface for 3M Adhesive
Smooth, Flat and 1″ Wide
No Textured Surfaces
No Curved Surfaces
REQUIRED Surface Cleaning & Preparation for 3M Adhesive Studs
1. Thoroughly clean the area where the studs will be mounted with 70% isopropyl alcohol to remove any film, dirt or oxidization. Bottles of isopropyl alcohol are available in 70%, 90%, and 99% concentrations. 70% works well without dilution. 90% or 99% should be diluted with 40% or 50% water, respectively. Water content slows evaporation, increases surface contact time, and is more effective at removing contaminants and debris (than using straight alcohol).
2. 3M recommends using 3M Primer as the final surface prep before mounting studs. Follow this link for 3M Primer instructions…
3. Remove adhesive backing paper then press into place with a minimum of 15 pounds pressure (in the centre and around the edges) on each Fastener.
4. After 3M studs have been installed, wait a minimum of 60 minutes before you install the shading mesh or 24 hours, ideally.
5. After Studs have been mounted, snap Pins onto Studs.
For all Fastener types, we recommend MAXIMUM 10 inch spacing on most applications.
For Shades 25 square feet or larger or in high wind areas, MAXIMUM 5 inch spacing.
Install 2 Fasteners on each corner, 1.5 inches back from the corner.